Duration: (Phase 1) December 2020 – August 2021; (Phase 2) October 2022 – Present
Project Initiator & Funder: Hong Kong Jockey Club Charity Trust
While the pandemic significantly disrupted the world of work, it also reveals the critical role of human connections, which remain irreplaceable even with technology. As industries shift towards a more human-centred approach to service and product provision in response to such needs, a growing crop of creative and social innovation organisations also emerged, seeking to use creativity and socially-engaged art and cultural practices to drive innovation, inclusion and hence positive social changes. Opportunities abound, however, few young people were aware and prepared for them.
Committed to its mission of youth development, the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charity Trust initiated JC PROcruit C, a traineeship programme that aims to assist motivated first-time job seekers in kickstarting their careers in emerging human-centric professions and better transitioning to their first jobs.
A task of this scale required collaborators from across sectors to set the mission in motion. Good Lab joined forces as the Industry Convenor of the Creativity for Good track, seeking to innovatively address the above challenges with our extensive networks and expertise in the creative and social innovation sectors of Hong Kong.
We take a three-pronged approach to address the challenges innovatively:
- Create new job positions: partnered with over 50 employers in the creative and social innovation sectors, Good Lab co-created new job roles underpinned by caring and compassionate values for fresh graduates of all disciplines.
- Re-align industry demand: offered a cross-disciplinary lens to talent acquisition in the sectors through a new way of matchmaking that focuses on the values, attitude, skills and knowledge of a new cadre of creative talents.
- Build capacity: in view of the lack of systematic traineeship in the sectors, Good Lab curated centralised on-boarding and on-the-job training to prepare trainees with future-ready and industry-relevant skills and vision.
Impact to Date
- Nurtured over 100 socially-minded trainees into capable changemakers in the creative and social innovation sectors during the first phase of JC PROcruit C.
- Empowered fresh graduates of all disciplines to have a chance to explore and reflect on the emerging interface between creativity and society. Read trainees testimonials here.
- Demonstrated that any background is valuable and prompted employers to rethink their talent acquisition strategies. Read employers’ testimonials here.